Thursday, October 1, 2009

An Ugly Start


I glared at the hideous Virgin of Vladimir painting on the front of my art history textbook and remembered why I was dreading my survey one class. What could I possibly learn from artists that all represented the Virgin and Child the same way? Where was the originality? Where was the three-dimensional form? And more importantly, what was wrong with baby Jesus’ head?

It took an entire quarter of Art History at SCAD for me to realize (and admit) how much I enjoyed the class. I biked back to the dorm each day after class inspired by paintings and sculptures that before, I would not have given a second glance. Learning why the Egyptian Ka statues were created, where oil painting originated, and how neanderthals were able to sculpt so beautifully the two bison found in Le Tuc d’Audoubert, has given me so much insight into the evolution of art. Learning about art’s past makes my art, and all modern art, so much more valid and intriguing.

-Little Miss Analysis

No comments:

Post a Comment